50 Connections Now Available!

We’re excited to announce that we are now able to offer our customers 50 concurrent connections. NewsgroupDirect continues to invest in our infrastructure as a part of our commitment to having the best service in the industry.

How Will This Affect You?
We are providing these upgrades to our customers free of charge. So if your account previously had 20 connections you will now have 50 connections. If your account previously had 10 connections you will now have 20. The number of concurrent connections allowed determines the number of articles that you are allowed to fetch at a time. So, theoretically, having more connections will allow you to download more simultaneously, increasing your total throughput.

NewsgroupDirect, the Usenet Company, is America’s premier usenet provider, providing access to more than 100,000 usenet newsgroups.

10 Ways to Get Effective Answers to Your Post

Have you ever posted a question or comment, only to find that you?re not getting any feedback what so ever?

NewsgroupDirect has 10 great tips to get the most from your post and your question answered fast:

  1. Stick to the topic: Each day the internet is becoming saturated with useless information. Anyone looking to speak their mind can online. The problem arrives when done in an unstructured way, making finding information fruitless. Each newsgroup has a particular subject matter, stick to that subject and don?t start rambling on about irrelevant things.
  2. Ask for help in a smart way: When asking for help, don?t make it too hard or too unrewarding to help you, and don?t annoy the people responding. Your English doesn?t have to be perfect. But long paragraphs and ?kewl? spellings make you harder to read, which makes it less likely someone will answer.
  3. DON?T YELL! Posting in ALL CAPS is the written equivalent of shouting, and many people consider it very rude.
  4. Give specifics: Make sure to give all specifics upfront. If the reader has to ask a question, they?ll probably just move on.
  5. Receive answers polity: If you ask it in the group, read it in the group; you will antagonize people if you ask for answers in e-mail. This also keeps the answers from others interested. And make sure to check and respond regularly to the suggestions left. If you post and never return, people will remember and not bother with you next time. If you find the answer yourself, make sure to post it for everyone else.
  6. Post in plain text: Don?t post pictures, HTML or other binaries. If you need people to see a picture, post the URL.
  7. First, try to find the answer yourself: The easiest way to make people not respond is to ask the same newbie question as everyone else. Check the newsgroup?s FAQs before you post.
  8. Post an article once and wait to post again: ?My question is urgent. It?s been two whole hours and nobody has responded. Maybe they didn?t see it. I?ll just post it again.? or ?I don?t see my article in the newsgroup. It must not have gone through. I?ll post it again just in case.? Usenet is not e-mail, it takes time for articles to reach all the servers. Hard as it may be to be patient, wait at least a couple of days. And then, put the notation ?(REPOST)? in the subject.
  9. Crosspost, don?t multipost: You should always post in the newsgroup that best fits your topic. However, when the article genuinely fits multiple groups, crosspost, don?t multipost. And don?t post an article to an irrelevant group just because you hang out there, or because your message is so important that everyone should see it.
  10. Quote it right: The principles are easy: put your comment after what you?re commenting on, quote just what is necessary and keep track of who said what.

Most people can only spend a few minutes at a time in these newsgroups, they don?t have to waste it trying to decipher cryptic or rude messages.

Friday Twitter Giveaway!

It’s Friday, that means it’s time for some free stuff! This time we’re going to give away 2 FREE NewsgroupDirect Unlimited accounts… 1 to a random existing Twitter follower and 1 to a new follower. So what do you have to do to be eligible? If you’re not already a follower, then simply follow @newsgroupdirect today to be eligible.

Details: The contest will end at 12AM EST on Saturday, Jan. 30. Current customers and current Twitter followers are not eligible for the giveaway. The free account will be for a term of 1 year. We will use random.org to select the winner on Saturday, Jan. 30.

NewsgroupDirect Helps Your Find Your Roots

One of most best kept secrets of online network resources is the Alexandrian Library of genealogy newsgroups.

Everything from African to Icelandic blood lines are discussed and described in some form in the newsgroup postings. We?re talking 500 megabytes a day of information being exchanged and more than 15,000 topic-specific newsgroups, including at least 20 devoted exclusively to genealogy and dozens more related. In fact the most popular genealogy newsgroups receive hundreds of articles a day, with articles posted going to a potential audience of more than three million readers.

The Family Tree of Genealogy Newsgroups

alt.genealogy is one of the most important and popular branches in the genealogy tree. Further down one may find groups such as: soc.genealogy.african, soc.genealogy.german, soc.genealogy.hispanic, soc.genealogy.australia+nz and soc.genealogy.benelux (Belgium and The Netherlands), soc.genealogy.medieval, soc.genealogy.nordic and soc.genealogy.slavic, each providing a forum for people to discuss the genealogical considerations of the group?s diaspora, including inhabitants of, voluntary emigrants, involuntary emigrants (such as slaves), immigrants, colonists and their descendants.

Newsgroup Genealogy

soc.genealogy.surnames is a unique group in itself, in that all messages posted must be surname queries making searches of the group and its archives easier. The alt.family-names hierarchy contains more than 100 different groups devoted to family names from Abair to Zerbe, in which people who share a common surname can discuss family matters, reunions and genealogy. Adoption, another popular subject, is discussed on nine different newsgroups, the main group being soc.adoption.

The hierarchy options are endless: History, culture, ethnicity, heraldry and even societal. In fact those planning to travel will be interested in the information and advice found in the rec.travel hierarchy. This detailed genealogical map of information is unique and user friendly compared to the now online world of internet browsing based content such as google and yahoo. In the recent years these resources have become polluted in a sea of useless information, connected to the ?relevant? search topic word only for income generated reasons through advertisements and ?keyword? phrases that have nothing to do with ancestry, making research on the subject fruitless. This causes readers that have to rifle through advertisements posted directly to a product’s target audience to become antagonistic to say the least.

To get direct Usenet access to the latest genealogical content, subscribe now to newgroupdirect.com.

NewsgroupDirect Haiti Relief Efforts

In response to the tragedy in Haiti NewsgroupDirect will donate all of today’s (Monday 1/18) sales to the American Red Cross. If you have already been planning to make a purchase at NewsgroupDirect then today would be a good day to do that, so that we can maximize the relief that we are able to provide. We encourage all of our existing members to donate to the Red Cross.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to all of the families affected by this tragedy.

Helpful Links

Unison 2.0 Now Available – Mac users

The new version of Unison, our newsreader of choice for Mac users, is here!!!

Unison 2.0 offers now a native support for NZB searching within the application (via binsearch.info and others). It also automatically takes care of finding missing parts, PAR recovery, and RAR unpacking.

Others Unison’s new features:

  1. Redesign interface: all-in-one view,
  2. New group directory,
  3. Improved message reading with a thread view and thread lines,

and much much more.

?Unison 2 makes it easy to read, look, listen, and download.?

Get it at Panic site

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

We at NewsgroupDirect would like to thank all of our customers for a wonderful 2009. We look forward to an even better 2010. Thank you to all. May 2010 be prosperous for you and your loved ones.